Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Three beers in Trondheim

There are many interesting places to visit in Norway. The third largest city in the country, Trondheim, is one of them. Compared to Bergen and Oslo there are not that many tourist sights, but there are some. One of them is the fabulous Nidarosdomen, Trondheim's medieval cathedral.

But this is a beer blog, so I will write about some of the bars and restaurants in Trondheim. Not far from the cathedral you can find Tulla Fischer. This is a cafe selling among others cakes, sandwiches and pizzas. Once upon a time this was the telegraph building in Trondheim, and the ceiling still has the look of an official building combined with fancy lamps.

The beer menu at Tulla Fischer was not something to be happy about. The local Dahls pale lager was available on tap together with Carlsberg Extra Cold and some bottled import beers in a fridge. The Carlsberg was cold and without any aroma or taste to talk about. Next time around I should order water. But Tulla Fischer was a nice place, and perhaps somewhere to take a date?

In the city centre of Trondheim Nattergalen can be found. Nattergalen calls itself a bar with a kitchen. As a bar, the place is interesting with many interesting wines and drinks on the menu.

For beer lovers, Nattergalen is not an important bar to visit in Trondheim. From tap you can drink Heineken and Hansa pale lager together with Newcastle Brown Ale. I had a brown ale and enjoyed it while thinking I really liked this beer much better years ago. I also had a great omelette at Nattergalen. It was absolutely to be recommended.

Across the Old town bridge (Gamle Bybro) you can find the neighbourhood of Bakklandet. Bakklandet has its share of nice cafes, and one of them is Rabarbra.

I did not plan to visit Rabarbra at all during my last visit to Trondheim. A special restaurant I wanted to check out was not open yet, so I decided to stroll around Bakklandet to see if I could find a nice place to read my newspaper.

Rabarbra is a place with a good atmosphere. It is located in a rustic setting, and the wooden walls and old furniture give the visitors a nice feeling. I enjoyed being there, and the smiling and cute waitresses did a good job.

In addition to this, Rabarbra can also offer an excellent amount of used books. It was interesting taking a look at all the shelves, taking out an old book and looking through it.

To drink I could choose between two kinds of draught beer at Rabarbra: Frydenlund's bayer and Trondheim's own Dahls lager. I chose the local beer, and was given a half litre of a pale lager with a medium sized head and nearly no carbonation. In the nose there was flowers and some sweetness. In the mouth malts danced along with the sweetness and a hint of bitterness before the hops took over in the finish. Unfortunately the beer had a metallic taste as well, but perhaps the lines at Rabarbra were not clean enough? Dahls is an average lager that does its job nicely as a thirst quencher. It is not a beer I will actively seek out. But I would like to go back to Rabarbra.

1 comment:

  1. Dahls is an underrated beer, really. Too bad you got one with a metallic taste, I'm sure it was the lines.

    ReplyDelete