Sunday, March 25, 2012

Return to Schouskjelleren

Oslo's Schouskjelleren Mikrobryggeri was my favourite Norwegian pub in 2011. It is easy to find at the southern end of the Grünerløkka neighbourhood close to the Nybrua tram stop. At my recent visit I still feel that the pub is among the top of the crop. The service is great and attentive, the atmosphere is very good and there is an excellent selection of draught beers. The big bonus is that some of the beers are brewed on the premises, making Schouskjelleren Mikrobryggeri one of the better brewpubs in Scandinavia. And I also like the policy of selling branded beer glasses. Other pubs can learn from that. A beer glass is an excellent souvenir!

I chose to try out O.S.B. Bitter. This was a cloudy beer with some carbonation and a medium sized head. There were nearly no aromas from the beer. I felt some yeast and touches of pine. The beer was a bit sweet with some honey and pines. The finish was boring and nearly tasteless. I liked the beer, but the anonymous finish was a let down.

There was not time for more beers this time around, but I will be back the next time I am in Oslo.

No comments:

Post a Comment