Friday, September 28, 2012

A taste of ram

One of the lagers you often find in Czech pubs and bars is Velkopopovický Kozel Světlý Výčepní. This pale beer is a 10° lager with an alcohol content of 4%.

I have tried this beer as a draught beer many times in the Czech Republic. This time I had it from can, and in the glass the pale Kozel beer had a medium sized head and some carbonation. In the nose I felt grass and flowers, while the beer tasted of malts, some caramel, butter and some hops before a watery finish. This was another good Czech pale lager, but I prefer other beers to it.

3 comments:

  1. I like the dunkel, low alcohol (3.5 was it?) Kozel as a "lunch-beer" (when in Bohemia..) :)

    Btw, have you ever visited Cesky Krumlov?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a fan of Kozel's dark lager (Černý):

    http://beersagas.blogspot.no/2009/09/ram-on.html

    It is too sweet for my taste.

    By the way: I have yet to visit Český Krumlov. I am planning to go there and to nearby České Budějovice next year. According to my Czech friends Český Krumlov is a fantastic city to visit with beautiful sights. Beerwise České Budějovice is more interesting with among others the Budvar brewery. Eggenberg of Český Krumlov is supposed to be an average brewery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, we did (as the only people attending the Eggenberg tour) get to taste some fermenting unfiltered beer there, tho. And had a nice meal on the house. Have visited both in summer and winter. Prefered winter.

    ReplyDelete