Saturday, November 20, 2010

Svyturys - round 2

I received many comments after my review of Svyturys Ekstra pale lager. I felt the beer was very sweet, and several comments from blog readers told me that the Lithuanian lager had a different taste profile than the beer I had described.

Finally I found a new bottle of Svyturys Ekstra, and therefore I was ready to do a new tasting. In the glass, this was a beer with a large head and some carbonation. The aromas were of malts and grains. In the mouth I felt bread, some bitterness and a hint of sweetness before a grainy finish.

This beer was less sweet this time around, but it will not be a common guest in my fridge. I prefer other pale lagers. The price is also high. At about 45 NOK, which is 4.50 GBP, I prefer buying for instance Czech lagers like Pilsner Urquell, Bernard or Budvar. These beers are usually priced below 30 NOK for a half litre can or bottle.

1 comment:

  1. I kinda agree with the comments on your first review, Svyturys Ekstra really isn't that sweet. But it's strange that taste differs so much. I guess that it depends on how it was held in shop. But what i really know is that in Lithuania this beer is really good and i understand why lithuanians love it so much :)

    ReplyDelete