Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Two wheat beers and a lager

Weihenstephaner is one of my favourite wheat beers. As frequent readers of this blog know, I usually buy Paulaner weizen when I am in a wheat beer mood, but Weihenstephaner is a good alternative for me as both beers are easy to find at Vinomonpolet outlets in Norway. Erdinger wheat beers are also common in Norway, but I tend to avoid these as they are less tasty and feel more watery.

For some reason I have never reviewed Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier on this blog, so I choose to write about it together with two Danish beers that are new on the Norwegian market. In the glass Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier seems very clear for a wheat beer with yeast. In the nose there is banana and grains. The beer tastes of grains, banana and cloves before a partly sour finish. This is a delicious weizen!

Then the turn has come for Herslev Bryghus Hvedeøl from Denmark. This beer has the typical cloudy look for a wheat beer. The beer has a lot of carbonation. In the nose I feel banana and some pineapple. In the mouth there is banana and some spices. I recognise some cloves before a semi bitter finish. Herslev's wheat beer is a very nice effort, but I prefer Weihenstephaner.

Last but not least is Nørrebro New York Lager. This is a beer with some carbonation and a medium sized head. The beer is nearly copper coloured. In the nose there is grapefruit and some grains. The taste is of some grapefruit and a hint of toffee before a watery finish. The beer is nice, but I would like to have a Brooklyn lager instead. Or perhaps a Samuel Adams Boston lager.

No comments:

Post a Comment