Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Zipfer trio

The beers from the Zipfer brewery seem to be available in most supermarkets in Vienna. Zipfer is based in the Austrian city Neukirchen an der Vöckla, and it is owned by Heineken. During my stay in Austria I bought four different Zipfer beers. One of them, Zipfer Radler, is the brewery's take on shandy. I felt the beer/lemonade cocktail was refreshing, but I will not go into detail on that beer. Instead I will focus on the three others: Zipfer Urtyp, Zipfer Medium and Zipfer Märzen.

Zipfer Medium is a version of Zipfer Urtyp with a lower alcohol content. The beer has 3% alcohol and is a pale, fizzy lager. There was nearly no aroma from this beer. In the mouth malts were dominating before a watery finish. The beer was quite alright at this alcohol strength, but I felt that it is not a must buy-product.

Zipfer Urtyp had nearly no carbonation and a medium sized head. This pale lager has 5.4% alcohol and a nose of sweetness and grains. In the mouth there is malts, grains and a touch of lemon before a sweet finish with more lemon. This was a very good pale lager that I would have liked even more with a less sweet taste.

I tried Zipfer Märzen from bottle. This is a pale lager beer with 5% alcohol. The beer had some carbonation and a medium sized head. There was nearly no aroma from the beer, and in the mouth malts took the lead combined with some sweetness. Zipfer Märzen is an average pale lager, and of these three I prefer the Urtyp pale lager.

No comments:

Post a Comment