Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Back to U Sadu

U Sadu was my local during a vacation some years ago. I immediately started to like this Prague pub, and I have spent many hours of my time in the Czech capital at this hospoda.

Earlier this month I was back at U Sadu. Last year it had an 80 year anniversary, and the traditional pub is doing well into its 82nd year.

Pilsner Urquell from tank has been the main attraction in beers from many years. Tankova Pilsner is the best way of drinking the beer from Plzeň. It is fresh, and the tastes of hops, spices and fruityness are much more pinpointed than in ordinary draughted Pilsner Urquell.

These days there are seven different draught beers available at U Sadu in addition to Pilsner Urquell. This means that it is possible to do an entire pub crawl at the pub. Earlier Primator has been the supplier of wheat beer at U Sadu. This has changed. Nowadays the weizen is called Velen, and it is supplied by the Moravian brewery Černá Hora. I looked for Velen last year in several Prague pubs, so I needed to try it at this visit to U Sadu.

In the glass Velen is an unclear beer. There is not that much aroma from the beer, but in the mouth I feel bananas and cloves. Velen was a very good wheat beer, but I believe Primator's weizen is a better beer.

U Sadu is a nice pub, and once again I enjoyed being there. With free wifi there as well, it is a place for both some work, entertainment and a few brews. The opening times are also fantastic. The pub opens at 8AM and closes at 2AM at weekdays. But the opening times for the coming weekend are even better! Just take a look here:

No comments:

Post a Comment