Thursday, March 31, 2011

Prague airport beer

I like travelling to the Czech Republic, and I have had many visits to Prague. Every time I have arrived at Prague's airport, Prague Ruzyně International Airport. There are some bars and restaurants in Terminal 2, which is used for flights inside the Schengen area. I have been to some of them while leaving the Czech Republic, and it is nice enjoying a half litre of Pilsner Urquell before heading back home.

Prices at Ruzyně airport are high compared to the city centre and suburbs of Prague. That includes beer, which cost nearly 150 CZK (5 GBP) for a half litre at the bars and restaurants. That is nearly five times more than buying a half litre of Pilsner Urquell at beer halls in Prague outside the tourist areas. Perhaps it is wiser having a beer at the airport before going into Prague than having it before leaving the country? You can also buy cans of Pilsner Urquell, Budvar, Gambrinus and Radegast for nearly 50 CZK at the newsagents on the airport.

On my last visit to Prague airport I ended up at Pilsner Urquell Original Restaurant to have a beer. I saw that there was a Master tap, and I ordered a glass of the Urquell brewery's dark beer. They only sold it in bottles, so I changed my mind and ordered a glass of Pilsner Urquell instead. I paid with a 500 CZK note, but the bartender gave me change as if he had been given a 200 CZK note. I told him he made a mistake, so finally I received the correct change. I hope it was an honest mistake and that he did not try to trick me.

Pilsner Urquell Original Restaurant is a nice place enjoying a beer. The bar is charming, and I like the brown wooden chairs and tables. It is also nice having a view to the airplanes.

The beer is of course of high quality. Pilsner Urquell is one of my favourite beers, and it tastes better in the Czech Republic. I have been told that the Pilsner Urquell Original Restaurant at Ruzyně airport sells tankova beer, which is the best version of the beer. It tastes really good, and this time I chose not to do any tasting notes. Instead I enjoyed my time at the restaurant thinking about going into Prague one more time. Which beers to taste and where to taste them were some of my questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment