Sunday, October 18, 2009

Changes at U Slovanské Lípi

I have several times written about the hospoda U Slovanské Lípi in Prague on this blog. The taproom in Žížkov is one of the few places in Prague where you can find the excellent beers from the Kout na Šumavě brewery.

I visited U Slovanské Lípi in both December and January, and during my visits they sold four different beers from Kout na Šumavě. This has changed. The strongest beer, an 18° dark beer, is no longer on the menu. Instead, U Slovanské Lípi now offers the 10° and 12° golden lager beers in both filtered and unfiltered versions. In addition to this, they also sell a 14° dark lager and cuts of dark and golden lagers.

From the current drinks menu at U Slovanské Lípi.

All the lager beers from Kout na Šumavě are excellent, and I had several visits to U Slovanské Lípi during my stay in Prague earlier this month to taste the different beers. The unfiltered versions were the best ones, but that does not make the filtered ones bad beers. Absolutely not! The Kout na Šumavě brewery makes delicious beers, and I really recommend people to try them out.

Unfiltered 12° lager

I had a plan to do tasting notes for every Kout na Šumavě beer sold at U Slovanské Lípi, but that plan fell through. I lost some notes, and I must confess that I also had some beers while not making notes at all. But not all is lost. For some reason I still have the notes for the filtered 10° golden lager beer.

Filtered 10° lager

The filtered 10° Kout na Šumavě lager beer is a golden lager with very little carbonation. It is served with a large and lasting head. It has a fruity nose, and a very balanced taste with hints of apples. The Kout na Šumavě lager is a very refreshing beer, and I would really like to find it on tap also here in Norway. It is so much better than the lagers the Norwegian breweries make!

No comments:

Post a Comment