Sunday, December 27, 2009

Best of 2009: Wheat beers

It is time to take a look at another beer style that I have been very fond of this year. Wheat beers taste different than lagers, but the richness in flavour in some of them give me something extra. In addition to this they are great thirst quenchers in warm weather.

I have had my share of the Belgian Hoegaarden this year, and while in The Netherlands I tried Wieckse Witte. Hoegaarden is a very good beer, and I appreciate the citrus notes. Here in Norway wheat beers like Erdinger and Paulaner is easily found at the state owned Vinmonopolet shops. I have also had my share of Paulaner, as I feel it is the best of the German wheat beers available over here.

OK, let's get to the nominees then:

- Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier
- Franziskaner Weissbier
- Primátor Weizen

I have written about Paulaner earlier on this blog, and it is a personal favourite. While in Spain I came across Franziskaner Weissbier in cans, and I liked it a lot. It is better than the Erdinger wheat beers, and I would like to try it again - and also as a draught beer. The Primátor Weizen is another personal favourite, and I have been drinking it in the Czech Republic both from bottles and from tap.

But which is the best Wheat beer of 2009? Well, I guess there is a Czech victor also in this category:

- Primátor Weizen

A great beer and a deserved winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment