Friday, December 30, 2011

Stopover in Frankfurt

Two hours at Frankfurt airport should be more than enough for buying a book and some newspapers in German, having a meal and checking out some local draught beers. That was what I thought in advance, but as my flight to Frankfurt was late, I suddenly had barely an hour in Germany.

After getting hold of the reading material, I sat down on a stool at Beyond in Terminal 1. There were several draught beers on offer, but I wanted to try a local one.

Instead of a pale lager and the excellent Paulaner Hefeweizen, I chose Licher's take on a wheat beer. Licher is a brewery based in the Hesse region near Frankfurt.

Licher Hefeweizen was served in a Paulaner wheatbeer glass. It was a cloudy beer with nearly no carbonation and a thick, medium sized head. I felt banana and yeast in the nose. The beer had a very fruity taste with some sweetness and tutti frutti bubble gum in the lead. I also felt some banana and bread before a yeasty finish. This was a delicious wheat beer.

I was ready to order my first glass ever of the Paulaner Kristallweizen, when I noticed that my next flight had a gate change. Unfortunately that gate was on the other side of the terminal. I therefore chose to leave Beyond and walk to my airplane thinking that Frankfurt airport is not the worst place to have a stopover. Next time around I hope it will be a longer one.

2 comments:

  1. I recommend Munich if you have a choice - there ias a brewpub in the airport!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! If all goes well, I will be able to taste beers at the Munich airport brewpub later this year!

    ReplyDelete